The Ebola Outbreak: A Global Conversation and Resources
Georgetown University’s Scholarly Contributions
The Bioethics Research Library, O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law at Georgetown University, and Georgetown University Law Library have compiled this university-wide resource on the current Ebola Outbreak in West Africa to highlight the expertise within Georgetown University in a central hub available to assist others working to contain, treat, and prevent Ebola Virus Disease. Resources are available through blog posts, scholarly publications, and events. Additional resources will be added as they become available online.
Bioethics Blog Posts:
To receive automatic email updates to the Bioethics Blog Posts on Ebola we recommend using
or the RSS feed.
Center for Disease Control Ebola Information:
Privacy in Ethics and Ebola: Public Health Planning and Response – US Bioethics Commission. Download the educational module here.
- Doctors Without Borders – Ebola
- World Health Organization – Ebola
- The Lancet Ebola Resource Centre
- Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), University of Minnesota
- Search PubMed.gov Publications on Ebola
- Oxford University Press Publications on Ebola
- New England Journal of Medicine Ebola Outbreak Resources
- Search ClinicalTrials.gov for Ebola
- UPMC Center for Health Security – SEEK Forum
- The Network for Public Health Law – Primer: Emergency Legal Preparedness Concerning Ebola Virus Disease
- Ebola Deeply, Ebola News Covering the Crisis
- October 9 – ” Global Health Strategies: Ebola and the untapped potential of religious networks” The Berkley Center for Religion, Peace & World Affairs Issue Brief (2014).
- October 9 – ” Response to Ebola: Mapping Religious Networks and FIOs.” The Berkley Center for Religion, Peace & World Affairs (2014).
- October 2 – Roache, Sarah, Lawrence O. Gostin, and Daniel Lucey. “Lessons from the West African Ebola Epidemic: Towards a Legacy of Strong Health Systems.” The O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law Briefing, no. 10 (2014).
- September 18 – Phelan, Alexandra L., Lawrence O. Gostin, and Daniel Lucey. “A United Nations Security Council Resolution is Essential to Preventing the Threat to International Peace and Security Posed by Ebola.” The O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law Statement (2014).
- August 20 – Gostin, Lawrence O., Eric A. Friedman, and Daniel Hougendobler. “West Africa’s Ebola Epidemic Is Out of Control, but Never Had to Happen.” The O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law Briefing, no. 9 (2014).
Publications in External Fora:
- October 10 – Osterholm, Michael T., Kristine A. Moore, and Lawrence O. Gostin “Public Health in the Age of Ebola in West Africa” JAMA (2014)
- October 8 – Marshall, Katherine “Ebola: Ten Proposals to Engage Religious Actors More Proactively.” The Huffington Post (2014).
- October 7 – Gostin, Lawrence O. and Eric A. Friedman “Ebola: a crisis in global health leadership.” The Lancet (2014).
- September 18 – Gostin, Lawrence O. and Michele Barry “To Fight Ebola, Create a Health Workforce Reserve.” Los Angeles Times
- September 17 – Gostin, Lawrence O., Daniel Lucey, and Alexandra Phelan. “The Ebola Epidemic: A Global Health Emergency.” JAMA (2014)
- September 12 – Gostin, Lawrence O., Alexandra Phelan, Michael A. Stoto, John D. Kraemer, and K. Srinath Reddy. “Virus sharing, genetic sequencing, and global health security.” Science (2014)
- September 5 – Gostin, Lawrence O. “Ebola: towards an International Health Systems Fund.” The Lancet (2014)
- August 25 – Goodman, Jesse L. “Studying “Secret Serums” — Toward Safe, Effective Ebola Treatments.” New England Journal of Medicine (2014)
- August 14 – Gostin, Lawrence O., “How to Finally Stop Ebola.” US News & World Report
Georgetown in the News:Unable to display feed at this time.
March 25 – Ebola and Beyond: Global Epidemics in our One Health World 2015, Georgetown University, Washington DC
January 27 – Responding to Ebola: A Critical Window on Global Development Post-2015 – Jim Yong Kim, Georgetown University, Washington DC
December 5 – Ebola: Responding to the Domestic and Global Challenges – Ron Klain, Anthony S. Fauci, John J. DeGioia, Georgetown University, Washington DC
October 24 – Friday Talk: Ethical Issues in the Ebola Pandemic – Bioethics Research Library, Kennedy Institute of Ethics, Georgetown University, Washington DC
October 24 – Ebola Update from Experts on the Hilltop – Presented by Dr. Rosemary Sokas, Dr. Bernhard Liese, and Sarah Vittone, professors and leaders in the School of Nursing and Health Studies at Georgetown University, Washington DC (Presentation pdf)
October 6 – Global Health Communications Strategies: Ebola and the Untapped Potential of Religious Networks – The Berkley Center for Religion, Peace & World Affairs, Georgetown University, Washington DC
September 23 – The Ebola Crisis: Context, Systemic Challenges, Consequences – (CSPAN Link 1, Link 2, Link 3, Link 4) – Georgetown University, Washington DC
September 3 – O’Neill Institute Colloquium: The West African Ebola Epidemic: How Can It be Contained and How Can We Prevent the Next One? – (CSPAN Link) – Georgetown Law, Washington DC
August 12 – Media Briefing (Teleconference Only): The Ebola Crisis in West Africa – Law, Ethics and an Update from the Ground (Scheduled) – The O’Neill Institute, Georgetown Law, Washington DC
Georgetown Blog Posts:
- October 6 – Medical evacuations for West African Ebola patients: The unspoken possibility – Eric A. Friedman, O’Neill Institute
- October 2 – Ebola in the US: A Single Case in the US Should Not Distract from the Crisis in West Africa – Daniel Hougendobler and Lawrence O. Gostin, O’Neill Institute
- September 19 – 10 Resources to Help You Get a Handle on the Ebola Epidemic – Daniel Hougendobler and Sarah Roache, O’Neill Institute
- September 18 – Eight Gaps in the International Response to the West African Ebola Crisis Following U.S. Troops and UN Needs Assessment – Eric A. Friedman, Lawrence O. Gostin, Sarah Roache, and Daniel Hougendobler, O’Neill Institute
- September 10 – The UN Security Council Should Mobilize an International Force to Contain the West African Ebola Epidemic: A Call to Action – Lawrence O. Gostin and Sarah Roache, O’Neill Institute
- September 4 – Ebola and September 11: National traumas, heroes, enduring legacies, and a Framework Convention on Global Health – Eric A. Friedman, O’Neill Institute
- September 4 – Ebola: The Global Health Tragedy of Our Times and How Law is Essential in Preventing Public Health Catastrophes – Ana Ayala and Tanya Baytor, O’Neill Institute
- August 8 – WHO Declares Ebola Outbreak in West Africa a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) – The O’Neill Institute
- August 8 – Ebola Declared an International Public Health Emergency: Are We Interested Now? – Ana S. Ayala, O’Neill Institute
Blog Posts in External Fora:
- October 2 – Huffington Post: Can You Catch It From a Caliph? Ebola, ISIS, and the Politics of Contagion – M. Gregg Bloche, Georgetown University Law Center
- August 22 – PLoS Medicine Blog: The Global Response to the Ebola Fever Epidemic: What Took So Long? – Mark J. Siedner, Harvard Medical School and John D. Kraemer, Georgetown University Medical Center
- August 19 – JAMA Forum: Tackling the Ebola Epidemic – Lawrence O. Gostin, O’Neill Institute, Georgetown University