Top of the Heap: Matthew Kohrman by Hannah Gibson

[For this instalment of the Top of the Heap series, I spoke with medical anthropologist and Associate Professor Matthew Kohrman from Stanford University.]

Summer has arrived in North America. Catching up on academic reading is not my first priority at the moment. May it be yours! If so, here are a few texts among the many that have been beckoning me, some for far too long. I will be on sabbatical academic year 2016-2017, so my justifications for reading these texts in the months ahead will be perilously few.

Works in medical anthropology that I hope to be perusing soon and which you too may wish to consider are Harris Solomon’s Metabolic Living: Food, Fat, and the Absorption of Illness in India, Vincanne Adams’ Metrics: What Counts in Global Health, Cheryl Mattingly’s Moral Laboratories: Family Peril and the Struggle for a Good Life, and Charles Briggs and Clara Mantini-Briggs’ Tell Me Why My Children Died: Rabies, Indigenous Knowledge, and Communicative Justice. No less alluring are a few books that colleagues and students have been recommending to me, including Sara Ahmed’s The Promise of Happiness, Carlo Caduff’s The Pandemic Perhaps: Dramatic Events in a Public Culture of Danger, Saskia Sassen’s Expulsions: Brutality and Complexity in the Global Economy, Deborah Cowen’s The Deadly Life of Logistics: Mapping Violence in Global Trade, and two books by Brad Evans and his co-authors, Resilient Life: The Art of Living Dangerously and Disposable Futures: The Seduction of Violence in the Age of Spectacle.