ODE TO A BLONDE BOMBSHELL

When I first met Bonnie Peterson 30 years ago, I thought, “Wow! You’re the nurse guys dream about!” She was young, blonde and beautiful. What I couldn’t tell at first blush was that she was also one of the smartest and most tenacious nurse leaders I have ever had the privilege of working with, and without question, the strongest advocate for nursing, nursing ethics and bioethics that I have ever known.    

Bonnie and I both had new jobs. She was the new Vice President of Nursing/Clinical Care at Children’s Mercy Hospital (CMH) here in Kansas City, and I was the Executive Director of a brand new freestanding bioethics center, Midwest Bioethics Center (now the Center for Practical Bioethics). The year 1985 was a great one for Bonnie. That year she married her Pete Peterson, an attorney who knew how lucky he was to have landed Bonnie. They adored one another.

Ethics Committee Pioneer

CMH was one of the Center’s “early adopters.” There was a group of physicians there who had met regularly for a number of years and included one of our founders, Hans Uffelmann, a philosopher at the University of Missouri – Kansas City. It was sort of a “journal club.” They would all read articles, and then meet for breakfast to discuss them. Hans convinced the group that they should transition into a hospital ethics committee, which was quite the thing for hospitals to do at that time, and that he and others at the Bioethics Center should consult with them in this transition and provide ethics education to them. 

They agreed, and Bonnie was the administrator with whom we worked and who oversaw this transition.