Do What You Enjoy Doing: An Interview with Alison Pohl

By Maeve Luthin, JD, professional development manager

Welcome to another installment of our featured member interviews where we introduce you to PRIM&R’s members—individuals who work to advance ethical research on a daily basis. Over the course of the past few months we have been shining a spotlight on members of the CIP and CPIA Councils. Please read on to learn more about their professional experiences, how membership helps connect them to a larger community, and what goes on behind-the-scenes in their lives!

Today we’d like to introduce you to Alison Pohl, research compliance monitor and IACUC coordinator at the University of Connecticut Health Center. 

Maeve Luthin (ML): When and why did you join the field?
Alison Pohl (AP): I came to the field by accident. I was working as a clinical laboratory scientist out in California when I heard about a job at a biotech company that wanted a California-licensed clinical laboratory scientist. It was the same work (clinical microbiology), only the “patients” were laboratory animals. It was a great job because it led me to get more and more involved with the regulatory aspects of using laboratory animals. When I moved back to Connecticut, I continued working on the regulatory side.

ML: What prompted your interest in joining the CPIA Council, and why did you agree to serve?
AP: I think it is really important to “give back” to your professional community. I believe in the CPIA examination, and I was in the first group that took the examination back in 2007. I was honored to be asked to serve on the CPIA Council and hope that I contribute to its mission.