A Part of Something Bigger: An Interview with Erika Basile

by Megan Frame, Membership Coordinator 

Welcome to another installment of our featured member interviews where we introduce you to our members—individuals who work to advance ethical research on a daily basis. Please read on to learn more about their professional experiences, how membership helps connect them to a larger community, and what goes on behind-the-scenes in their lives!

Today we’d like to introduce you to Erika Basile, director of research ethics at the Western University in London, Ontario, Canada. 

Megan Frame (MF): When and why did you join the field? 
Erika Basile (EB): I knew as a teenager that I wanted to get into research. My introduction to the field took place when I was completing my undergraduate degree at the University of British Columbia. I worked in multiple sclerosis research and my boss, who I believe helped pave the way for where I am today, gave me the opportunity to run my own research project. I was so excited to get into the lab and figure out how to answer my research question. In the end, I was able to publish my results in a well-respected journal and present my findings at an international conference. I still look up the papers I wrote once in a while to see who has used them to help answer their own research questions. It was very fulfilling for me. It is also gratifying to know that what I was doing was a part of something bigger and that my work might help bring us one step closer to curing a disease or understanding why people react differently to the same medication.