Diplomacy is a must: An interview with Steven O’Geary

by Megan Frame, Membership Coordinator 

Welcome to another installment of our featured member interviews where we introduce you to our members—individuals who work to advance ethical research on a daily basis. Please read on to learn more about their professional experiences, how membership helps connect them to a larger community, and what goes on behind-the-scenes in their lives!

Today we’d like to introduce you to Steven “Steve” O’Geary, assistant vice president for research compliance at Oklahoma State University-Stillwater in Stillwater, OK. 

Megan Frame (MF): When and why did you join the field?
Steve O’Geary (SO): I joined the field in January 2002 when my alma mater, the University of Oklahoma (OU), began restructuring its research compliance programs. I left a tenure-track faculty position to return to OU to serve as the director of the Office of Human Research Participant Protection. That was the beginning of an amazing career that led me to the University of California-Berkeley and now Oklahoma State University. Although I miss the challenges of engaging students in active learning, I have never regretted my decision to directly support the mission of IRBs. After 14 years, I remain earnest and diligent in my efforts to safeguard the rights and welfare of human subjects.

MF: What skills are particularly helpful in a job like yours?
SO: Diplomacy is a must. A person needs to possess solid interpersonal skills, especially the ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds. You need a robust understanding of all pertinent regulations, and you also need to be patient, detail oriented, organized, and even-tempered.