Implementing concrete changes after the 2014 IACUC Conference

by Derek Fong, VMD, DACLAM, clinical veterinarian at the University of Colorado Denver

Time is a strange entity; it can go as slow as a turtle walking uphill in sand, or as fast as a cheetah sprinting across the savanna. It’s only been a little over two months since PRIM&R’s 2014 Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) Conference, and sadly, it feels far off on the horizon.  This is much more a reflection of my own memory, however, than of how I felt about the conference. I greatly enjoyed my first IACUC Conference; it exceeded my expectations in just about every way – even the food was good! Prior to this year, the IACUC Conference was not on my go-to list of conferences to regularly attend, but that mistake has now been rectified. I do hope to become a regular attendee.

As I alluded to in a previous post (and I believe most would agree), the main value of attending conferences is learning from others and translating what you learn into improvements at your own institution. However, with new emails, protocols, and animal health issues arising daily, I forgive myself and others for not always making immediate improvements. We all have ideas and projects, but become consumed with more immediate demands, such as catching up on work missed while attending said conferences! There are days that I believe I have a block of time to work on a strategic project, and I suddenly look up at the clock to discover the day has seemingly vanished into thin air.