Bioethics News

An ER Doc On What ‘The Big Sick’ Gets Wrong

August 1, 2017

Be the first to like.
Share

By Esther Choo

Tonight my husband and I watched The Big Sick, a hilarious and touching romantic comedy directed by Michael Showalter. It’s the best movie I’ve seen in years—even given what I’m about to write.

The plot centers on the romance between a Pakistani-American man, Kamil, and a white woman, Emily, and the tension between their budding relationship and Kamil’s obligation to his traditional Pakistani family. I’m an Asian woman married to a white guy, and right away I loved how spot-on the cultural tensions were. So far, so good.

But then Emily gets sick and goes to the hospital, where she remains for much of the movie. And since I am a physician and like things to make sense, I spent a lot of time squirming over the medical inaccuracies. At one point, my husband (also a physician, and sympathetic to my agony) turned to me and whispered, “Why didn’t they hire a medical consultant for this?”

Image: By PunkToad from oakland, us – Holly Hunter, Judd Apatow, Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=56146340

Be the first to like.
Share

Qz

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Source: Bioethics Bulletin by the Berman Institute of Bioethics.