Healing, Hate, and Solidarity

By Duncan Maru

“Non-violence is the highest spirituality”  Mahavir, Jain Spiritual Leader

“Lord, make me an instrument of your Peace, where there is hatred, let me sow love.”  St. Francis of Assisi

As a physician, it is my calling to heal. Healing goes far deeper than knowing the right science and prescribing the right medication.  It involves a deep and uncompromising feeling of compassion and love towards our patients.

How might a clinician think about the results of last week? President-elect Trump rose to power with a rhetoric of hate, division, and otherness.  Our country suffers deep income inequality and lack of opportunity. Our citizens suffer from the concentration of power and wealth and the resulting lack of education and opportunity.  Mr. Trump understood people’s anger and channeled it towards hate.  Yet hate is incapable of solving problems.  Believing this election was a referendum on America overcoming hate and fear, my family and I had supported and campaigned for Secretary Clinton…

The results engendered in me deep personal loss and disappointment.  Fear and hate had seemingly won. We would not elect America’s first woman president in time to celebrate the 100th year anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Ammendment in 2020.  Whatever his faults on foreign and domestic policy, we would sorely miss President Obama’s grace, his family values, his convictions rooted in spirituality, his commitment to science and rationality, and his ability to provide calm, firm, and compassionate solace in times of national tragedy and uncertainty.  In my heart, I had come to have feelings of hatred towards Mr.