Bioethics News

Genetically-engineered teenage angst

[embedded content]

The latest film about bioethics is basically an updated version of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. But if it worked in 1818, why not in 2016? Morgan is a genetically-engineered, parentless teenager who is physically and intellectually precocious but an emotional wreck. Her scientist creators appear to have forgotten to tweak those genes. And when she gets upset, all hell breaks loose.

Rotten Tomatoes gives Morgan a score of 43%, but the top critics are divided. “This is one of the worst movies of 2016,” says Richard Roeper, of the Chicago Sun-Times. But Ellen Brait, of Toronto’s Globe and Mail, writes, “Even I, a self-prescribed horror movie skeptic, found myself wrapped up in Morgan – I was invested in the characters, I (mostly) bought into the plot and even found myself embracing some of the gore by the end.” 

This article is published by Michael Cook and BioEdge under a Creative Commons licence. You may republish it or translate it free of charge with attribution for non-commercial purposes following these guidelines. If you teach at a university we ask that your department make a donation. Commercial media must contact us for permission and fees. Some articles on this site are published under different terms.