Bioethics News

Brushes with Bioethics: Internship Experiences

By Rachel Stosur

Rachel is a rising junior at Baltimore City College. She is interested in medicine and has been working at the Berman Institute of Bioethics through the Johns Hopkins Summer Jobs Program.

Over the past two weeks, I have had the opportunity to shadow two doctors: Dr. Renee Boss and Dr. Janet Serwint. I was able to experience the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit setting, and both inpatient and outpatient pediatrics. I rounded on patients, talked to interns and residents, and gained insight into a day in the life of attending doctors at Johns Hopkins Hospital.  

Days 1 & 2: NICU

As the elevator came to a stop, a child’s voice announced on the intercom that I had reached the 8th floor of the Bloomberg Children’s Center. I would be shadowing Dr. Renee Boss in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for two mornings.

I had expected to see one room full of incubators, the “bay style” NICU like on TV, but here every baby had their own room. According to Dr. Boss, this allows for more privacy for families but it also does not promote as much bonding among parents. Although the four hallways of patient rooms looked similar, each baby’s room was personalized with toys or a colorful blanket. As I looked into the rooms, one of the first things that struck me was how small the babies were. Most were premature, and some were born months before their due date. One infant weighed only 470 g at birth, slightly over one pound.