Bioethics News

Summer program participants’ testimonials, Manhattan, July 11-22, 2016

GBI summer school definitely exceeded my expectations. The guided tour to the United Nations Headquarters offered us an exciting opportunity to get a behind-the-scenes view of the UN at work. We visited the newly renovated General Assembly Hall, the Security Council Chamber, the Trusteeship Council Chamber, and the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) Chamber in the renovated Conference Building. We also learned about how the United Nations addresses issues such as human rights, disarmament, peace and security, and the Sustainable Development Goals, closely related to GBI’s mission. I found the field trip to be fantastic, and the summer program overall was extremely interesting and informative. All lecturers were extremely respected within their fields. My favorite lectures were those of Dr. Jonathan Garlick and Dr. Bruce Gelb. Dr. Garlick spoke about stem cells, CRISPR, and the possibility of same-sex couples being able to have biological children as a result of stem cell research, while Dr. Gelb spoke about the ethics of transplantation and organ trafficking. Dr. Gelb’s in-depth lecture about his contribution to a full-face transplant performed for the first time in the world at NYU Langone Medical Center was extremely interesting. Although these have been my favorites, there was not a single boring or non-engaging lecture. It was a truly interdisciplinary endeavor and my fellow participants were very cosmopolitan. I would recommend this summer program with no hesitation. Aidan Appleby, B.A. Psychology Candidate, University of Miami Coral Gables, USA

I teach undergraduate nursing students, students in the RN/BSN program track, and students who take my freshman seminar style course (Geography of Experience), and I am excited to incorporate the information I have learned in this summer program into my classes.