The Weight of the World April 21, 2016 According to a new study published in the medical jou…

April 21, 2016

When I was a young child, I was a very picky eater. I would often refuse to eat the meals my parents put before me, even if it was something that I’d eaten and enjoyed before. Some kids are so-called “selective” eaters because of a medical problem like gastroesophageal reflux disease, gluten intolerance, or some other nutritional or sensory disorder, but my picky eating was a result of sheer stubbornness. 

Like most mothers, mine resorted to all sorts of inducements, incentives and threats to get me to eat, including using the age-old remonstration about starving children in India or Ethiopia. My usual retort was to offer to pay the postage out of my allowance so that she could send the food there.

What a change 40 years can make. The rebellious five-year-old boy who would go a whole month eating nothing but buttered noodles is now a very adventurous eater. I have even sampled such exotic foods as snake, spiders, jellyfish and grasshoppers while traveling overseas. Even more surprising, although there is still a massive problem of hunger and malnutrition in India, Ethiopia and even in the United States – as many as 1 in 7 Americans go to bed hungry – there are now more people who are obese than who are malnourished globally.

According to a new study published in the medical journal The Lancet last week, the number of people in the world who are clinically obese has increased six-fold over the last four decades. Using a measure of body fat composition known as the body mass index (or BMI, which is calculated as an individual’s weight in kilograms divided by their height in meters squared), researchers compared historical rates of obesity among 20 million people from 186 different countries. 

Clinically, a person is usually considered to be obese if they have a body mass index of 30 or higher.