The Wrong Side of the Bed

Gillian Clark reflects on her emotional needs after experiencing trauma.

__________________________________________

I was a very accident-prone child and became famous for the expression “I’m okay!”

I crashed a snowmobile into a boulder, flew six feet and hopped up to say “I’m okay!”  I said it in part to console my brother who was running towards me at an impossibly slow rate due to his one piece snowsuit and oversized hand-me-down Sorrels, but also because I felt pressure to stick to my catch phrase.

I lost both of my skis in a race, tumbled into a snow fence and spat out the snow in my mouth to say, “I’m okay!” I attempted to finish the race without skis.

I lost all feeling in my extremities during a soccer match one summer, for in true Canadian fashion it was sleeting, snowing, and hailing in July; probably all at once. And the game was uphill, both ways. And we had to stop half way through because a beaver gnawed down one of our goal posts.  I tripped over my numb legs, landed face first in a semi-frozen mud puddle and said “I’m-m- ok-k-kay.”

There are three similarities with all events:

1.     I was wearing long johns.
  2.     Tears were frozen to my smiling face.
  3.     I was not okay.

On December 3rd, 2010 I was walking down Spring Garden Road in Halifax.  I was on the sidewalk.  I was suddenly hit by an out of control SUV and the top half of my body went through a store window, while my bottom half was pinned between a brick wall and the SUV.