The randomness of suffering and the love of God

Those who read my post at Christmas know that I have been thinking about suffering. Gilbert Meilaender in his book, Bioethics: A Primer for Christians, makes the point that Christians have available an understanding of suffering that is different than that of much of our society and that difference causes us to see a number of bioethical issues differently. When those of us who care for the sick are caring for those who are suffering our Christian faith can provide resources to help people find comfort and peace in the midst of suffering. However, we need to be careful because some of the ways we can respond to suffering may not be true to the truth of scripture and the reality of our world.

Two days ago I had something happen that made me think about this. I was driving from my morning job at Taylor University to the medical office where I work in the afternoons. My truck spun out of control on a patch of ice and off the road into a ditch where it flipped over and landed upside down. As I came to a stop hanging from my seat belt I realized that I was alive and unhurt, at least until I released the seat belt and landed on my head. In the end all I had were a few scratches and was able to crawl out of the cab and walk away. I felt very thankful to be alive. Many who have heard about the accident have responded by expressing thanks that God was watching over me and protected me.