Summer Roundup: Features by Deanna Day

This Friday, we are rounding up a set of feature essays that were published on Somatosphere over the summer. Unlike our previous summer roundups, which have focused on posts in a particular series, these features are varied in content, tone, and form.

Ethics (etc) in a box: How a disinfectant spray became my friend and ally

“It is my first day of fieldwork in a London hospital, and I am following Joan into the wards for the first time. I fail to notice her stamp her palm against the red button before swinging the ward door open. A couple of steps in she stops, and I almost run into her back. “Just clean your hands before you come in,” she says. I look around, see the box, push the button, awkwardly, twice, to get enough spray onto my hands, and smear them together. The disinfectant is thin and disappears so quickly that I wonder if it does anything at all. The next time I am better prepared. I watch how Joan pushes the button without changing pace, and rubs her palms together swiftly while leaning into the swing-door with one shoulder. I push the button once, firmly, slowing only a little. I soon have this down to an art. I push the button without looking at it, without losing my stride, and feel a little rush.” —Courtney Addison

Creating Methods that Speak Across Disciplines in Medical Anthropology

“The multi-level analytic strategy I developed was fundamental to my ability to bring this research into dialogue with a broader audience.