The Crucial Role Research Plays: An Interview with Jackie Blundon

By Nora Murphy, membership assistant

Welcome to another installment of our featured member interviews where we introduce you to our members—individuals who work to advance ethical research on a daily basis. Please read on to learn more about Jackie Blundon, MS, CIP, director of the Human Research Protection Program at Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare.

Nora Murphy (NM): When and why did you join the field?
Jackie Blundon (JB): Like so many who work in human subjects protections, I didn’t set out looking for a career in this field. After completing graduate school in 2008, I knew that I didn’t want to continue in basic science research and was looking for something different than, but related to, my years of training. I was happy to find a place in the quality improvement unit in the human research protection program at the university where I attended graduate school. I’ve continued in this field because I enjoy the role I play in supporting ethical and compliant research, and the researchers who conduct it.

NM: What is one tool you use every day that you could not do your job without?
JB: The internet. I often wonder how people did anything before the internet, and I can’t imagine doing this job without it. From resources like the PRIM&R website, Knowledge Center, and IRB Forum, to networking and easily searching for regulation and guidance, to operational support like electronic IRB systems, email communication, webinars, and teleconferencing, the internet and all the tools it makes available are invaluable.

NM: What is one thing you wish the general public knew about human subjects research?