Seeing the Horror

A video released by The Center for Medical Progress (CMP)  about Planned Parenthood included these words: “Some viewers may find this content disturbing.” It was to warn the viewer about the images of piled fetal body parts dumped from a bag by an abortion clinic worker.

What might be most disturbing…and chilling…is not the body parts, but the casual and glib attitudes of the Planned Parenthood staff toward them.

A subsequent post  in the Bioethics Forum of The Hastings Center attempted to explain away this indifference:

…most of us also don’t want to see graphic photos of any other type of surgery either. But our desire to look away isn’t inconsistent with thankfulness for the life-saving and health-preserving results of any type of medical procedure. It just means we don’t want to watch their gory accomplishment. But physicians don’t have the privilege we have of enjoying medical results without seeing the unpleasant in-between.

I suspect that the author hasn’t watched all the videos. And I’m not sure what purpose bioethics institutes will serve for our society if they harbor notions that fetal vivisection is comparable to “enjoyable” medical results that are “life-saving and health preserving.”

Yes, as a physician, I can see body parts…and worse…without passing out. But every physician must recognize the moral significance of the connection to the human, or else the profession of medicine is not a moral endeavor. In contrast to attitudes of the abortion clinic workers, in the CMP’s videos, the former StemExpress employee Holly O’Donnell expresses a depth of moral insight to recognize that each of these aborted fetuses was more than just a “tissue opportunity.”

It had a face…I remember picking him up…he was big…I remember holding that fetus in my hands when everyone else was busy…It’s really hard knowing that you’re the only person who is ever going to hold that baby…I would think about things like that…I wonder at age 3 if she would like a color…or I wonder what it would look like, her mom or her dad…

Planned Parenthood’s brutality is the logical consequence of Dr.