Things I Accidentally Learned from Hope Amantine

Alice Dreger reflects on the role of Twitter in medical ethics.

__________________________________________

What happened this week has had me thinking about Twitter and what it means to the ethical culture of medicine. First thing Wednesday morning, I found a post by Dr. Alison Barrett (@DrAlisonBarrett). It read, “Anyone else worried about the ethics of this? Anyone?”

Barrett’s question grabbed me, because I try to listen when someone asks, “Does anyone care about this medical ethics travesty?” So I hit the link.

It was an essay at KevinMD.com, a blogging website, written by “Hope Amantine,” a pseudonym for someone claiming to be a surgeon in rural America. Amantine described a “teaching moment” from her own training, when a mentor, impatient with Amantine’s hesitance during a surgery because Amantine was afraid of accidentally cutting the patient’s inferior vena cava, purposefully cut a 1-inch hole in that very vessel, leaving Amantine to deal with it. A cut like that can kill you, quickly.

After I finished reading it and pulled my eyebrows off the ceiling, I retweeted Barrett’s tweet, adding, “Jesus. How is this not attempted murder in the OR?” I copied @Skepticalscalpel, my go-to guy for surgical ethics. He retweeted it, adding, “If this really happened, it’s a huge ethical issue. I’m appalled.”

The thing quickly took off. I tried directly engaging Amantine, who then had an account, @HopeAmantine, which she has since turned off. I asked her, “How is what you describe here not a crime that required reporting to authorities?” She asked what crime?