The Power of Mentoring

By Megan Frame, membership manager

Every year, PRIM&R’s Mentoring Program connects hundreds of members to one another, in order to share knowledge, grow people professionally, and help solve short- and longer-term challenges. PRIM&R routinely checks in on these mentoring pairs to see how their conversations are progressing, and to assure the match is a good one. Quite often, their feedback reminds us of the importance of this program, and our members’ willingness to support one another.

Today, we are pleased to offer a snapshot into one mentoring relationship between Paul Reitemeier, PhD, corporate director of bioethics at Beaumont Health in Royal Oak, MI, and Ann Morrison, PhD, assistant professor of teacher education and education and outreach liaison for the human subjects protections program at Metropolitan State University in Denver, CO.

Ann Morrison (AM): Paul Reitemeier, referred to me through the PRIM&R’s Mentoring Program, was one of the key contributors to our flourishing human research protection program (HRPP).

In June 2012, I assumed responsibility to rebuild the non-operational institutional review board (IRB) at my university, which has 24,000 students and 1,500 faculty. As an assistant professor in teacher education, my only prior IRB experience was as a researcher and one year serving as a reviewer on the IRB (during which time I read just one protocol and attended our only meeting). The sum total of my knowledge of the ethics, regulations, and precedent for human research protections had come from weeks of late nights reading material on the Office for Human Research Protections and other websites.