Ethical Research Will Always Be a “Work in Progress”: An Interview with Kirstin Morningstar

By Nora Murphy, membership assistant

Welcome to another installment of our featured member interviews where we introduce you to our members—individuals who work to advance ethical research on a daily basis. Please read on to learn more about Kirstin Morningstar, MBA, CIP, CPIA, director of Regulatory Services at University of Texas at Arlington.

Nora Murphy (NM): When and why did you join the field?
Kirstin Morningstar (KM): I’m not sure that many people set out to be in the field of research compliance, at least not ten or twenty years ago. I certainly did not. My initiation came to me by chance–I worked at a university when I saw an opportunity become available–a position that would allow me to be involved in research in some small way, without me doing the research! My educational background is in science, and I have held a life-long passion for science, medicine, and discovery. Because of my job I get to see, every day, exciting new ideas, technologies, and achievements that contribute to better quality of life for animals and mankind. It is exciting!

NM: What is one tool you use every day that you could not do your job without?
KM: Communication. It is my job to understand, interpret, and build processes that abide by the federal regulations, and communicate these to investigators in a way that is both easy to understand and apply. That way they can focus on their job: research. I also see myself as a liaison between investigators and the IRB, IACUC, and IBC.