Better Research, a Better Life, and a Better Future: An Interview with Haihong Zhang

By Megan Frame, membership manager

Welcome to another of our featured member interviews where we continue to introduce you to our members—individuals who work to advance ethical research on a daily basis. May is Member Appreciation Month at PRIM&R , and we will be featuring a new member interview every week! Please read on to learn about Haihong Zhang, PhD, coordinator of Peking University Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) in Beijing, China. 

Megan Frame (MF): What’s one specific challenge that you have faced during your career, and how did you overcome it?
Haihong Zhang (HZ): As someone fairly new to the field of human subjects protections, I began my career from the academic study of research ethics instead of practice. While I am well trained in the American style of human subjects protections, when I first took my job as HRPP coordinator, I gradually realized there is a gap between theory and practice in the real world, as well as the contextual differences between how Western and Chinese cultures view human subjects protections. People in the US and China have the best intentions to pursue the highest ethical standards in this area. However, facing the increasingly changing research environment, it’s hard to keep ethics at the forefront. Thus, as a young scholar and “policy manager” in China, one particular challenge for me is to be more creative and innovative in finding ways to for better protect subjects and serve researchers and their research teams, based on up-to-date learning and critical thinking. The PRIM&R community is a good way for me to meet colleagues worldwide, to communicate, and to learn from their experiences and ideas, which will empower me in my career in the field of human subjects protections.