A Chance to Reflect: An Opportunity to Revisit the 2015 IACUC Conference

By Angela Craig, DVM, lab animal veterinarian and IACUC member at the University of Minnesota

The perception of time is variable. It has been over a month since PRIM&R’s 2015 IACUC Conference took place in Boston, but depending on the day, it can seem like long ago or only yesterday. There are regular reminders of the passage of time all around me. Snow was falling when I left Logan Airport and the plane required de-icing before takeoff. Now the tulip bulbs are pushing up through the warm soil in Minnesota.

When a conference ends we return to the familiar patterns of our everyday lives. It is easy to become immersed in work while the days quickly pass. I intentionally left my conference materials in plain view on my desk to be sure I regularly referenced my top take-home messages. In doing so I remembered how difficult it had been to choose from the many topics offered during the breakout sessions. However, I can still access the content of those sessions via on the conference proceedings (the materials are available by using the access code provided in a pre-conference email). My goal is to take a few minutes each week to review at least two sessions I did not attend onsite. Attending a session in person is valuable since audience questions and discussion supplement the speakers’ presentation, yet it’s also helpful to have the materials available throughout the year to review in the quiet of my office. As time progresses, new issues arise and make specific topics more pertinent.