Work to Ensure the Safety and Wellbeing of the Animals: An Interview with Candace Beiler

By Megan Frame, membership manager

Welcome to another installment of our featured member interviews where we will introduce you to PRIM&R’s members—individuals who work to advance ethical research on a daily basis. This member interview is especially fitting because April 12-18 is National Volunteer Week, a time when we celebrate the time and talent our volunteers dedicate to PRIM&R.

Please read on to learn more about Candace Beiler, one of our valuable volunteers, and IACUC Administrator at Schepens Eye Research Institute in Boston, MA.

Megan Frame (MF): When and why did you join the field?
Candace Beiler (CB): I joined the field in 2005 because I have a strong love for animals, as well as science, and I wanted to be able to pursue my interests, learn new things, and challenge myself in new ways.

MF: What’s one specific challenge that you have faced during your career, and how did you overcome it?
CB: I started my career as a veterinary technologist and loved every minute that I spent with the animals, ensuring that their health and care needs were met. After obtaining my master’s degree, I started thinking I wanted to see a bigger picture of animal research and decided to move into an IACUC role and learn the regulatory aspects of the field. This was a big challenge for me because as a veterinary technologist (in my mind), I was the person providing direct care to the animals, and therefore felt confident they were being well cared for. Moving away from that position was difficult.