The Responsibility to Know and Disseminate: Sharing a Wealth of Information

By Angela Craig, DVM, lab animal veterinarian and IACUC member at the University of Minnesota

PRIM&R is pleased to share a post from Angela Craig, a member of the PRIM&R Blog Squad for the 2015 Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) Conference. The PRIM&R Blog Squad is composed of PRIM&R members who will blog here, on Ampersand, to give our readers an inside peek of what is happening at the conference in Boston, MA.

When I attend a conference, I have a habit of taking copious notes in every session. I more accurately remember what I hear when I write while listening. I have been known to wear out a pen or two in a single day. But I know that this strategy has inherent pitfalls. When I return to work, I will be too busy to review my notes again. My writing may not be legible enough to share with others, particularly my post-prandial scribbling. My solution is to review the notes and write out my top take home messages each evening after the sessions conclude. This compact list of “gems” contains a wealth of information – the key points, additional resources, and ideas for improvements I learned throughout the day that are most applicable to the animal program I serve.

An important take home message that arose from the Essentials of IACUC Administration course was the responsibility of the IACUC Administrator to “know and disseminate requirements and expectations.” Marcy Brown, BS, MA, CPIA; Deb Frolicher, BS, CPIA; and Mary Jo Shepherd, DVM, CPIA  each touched on this important theme throughout their presentations, including the portion dedicated to the training of IACUC members.