Find Something You’re Passionate About: An Interview with David Meyerholz

by Avery Avrakotos, Education and Policy Manager

Veterinary pathologist and microbiologist David K. Meyerholz, DVM, PhD, DACVP, DACVM, will present a keynote address at PRIM&R’s 2015 Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) Conference, which is being held March 17-20, in Boston, MA. Conference attendees can look forward to his address, titled Modeling the Origins and Mechanisms of Cystic Fibrosis, on Thursday, March 19.

Dr. Meyerholz is the director of the Division of Comparative Pathology and an associate professor of pathology at the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine in Iowa City, Iowa. In preparation for the conference, I connected with Dr. Meyerholz to discuss his work and what prompted his interest in lung disease.

Avery Avrakotos (AA): At the conference, you will be speaking about your work modeling the origins and mechanisms of cystic fibrosis. What prompted your interest in the study of lung disease?
David Meyerholz (DM): My interest in lung disease started with my son who has reactive airway disease. Nearly every time he had a cold his airways would seize up; there were at least a couple times where his breathing became so labored that we had to rush him to the emergency room. Those experiences spurred my interest in lung disease, and when I started at the University of Iowa in 2006, I discovered that they had a really large cystic fibrosis (CF) program. I quickly became involved and started learning about the disorder.

AA: How has the use of animal models furthered what we know about cystic fibrosis?