Bioethics News

British mum becomes surrogate for son’s baby

Anne-Marie and Kyle Casson   

This week’s story from Britain wins the New Frontiers Award in Assisted Reproductive Technology hands down.

Twenty-four-year-old Kyle Casson, a supermarket worker, was gay but was desperate to have a child. One of his relatives volunteered to be a surrogate, but when she pulled out for medical reasons, Kyle’s mother stepped forward.

So Kyle shopped around for a donor with the right hair and eye colour and organised fertilisation and implantation at an IVF clinic.

Eight months ago 46-year-old Anne-Marie Casson  gave birth to Miles by C-section.

It is believed to be the first time that a single man has had a baby through surrogacy in the UK.

The relationships of the three people are tangled, to say the least. Anne-Marie is the mother of Kyle, and both the mother and the grandmother of Miles. Miles is both the half-brother and the son of Kyle. Kyle is both the son and the “husband” of Anne-Marie.

The ethical complexities do not trouble Kyle. He told the Daily Mail:

“I understand that not everyone will agree with it, but they can have their opinions. I have a son and I am very happy. As long as people can provide a home, and they have the support, I don’t see why anyone should be denied the right to be a parent. Regardless of sexuality, gender, as long as you can provide for the child, I don’t see what the problem is. I paid for it myself, it’s not taxpayers’ money, I own my own home, I am going back to work.”

The case was legally tangled as well.