The Importance of Smiling: An Interview with Ross Hickey

By Maeve Luthin, JD, Professional Development Manager

Welcome to another installment of our featured PRIM&R member interviews where we introduce you to our members—individuals who work to advance ethical research on a daily basis. Over the course of the past few months we have been shining a spotlight on members of the Certified IRB Professional (CIP®)  and Certified Professional IACUC Administration (CPIA®) Councils. Please read on to learn more about their professional experiences and what goes on behind-the-scenes in their lives!

Today we’d like to introduce you to Ross Hickey, assistant provost for Research Integrity at University of Southern Maine. 

Maeve Luthin (ML): When and why did you join the field?
Ross Hickey (RH): My interest was first kindled during a biotechnology law class. As part of a class assignment, a classmate and I held a mock historical debate between C.S. Lewis and Friedrich Nietzsche on the ethics of genetic therapy and genetic engineering. We tried to base our arguments on what we guessed both men would think about the “new” technology and even tried to dress the parts, tweed jacket and all! Years later this classmate recruited me for my first job in research compliance.

ML: How did you learn about the CIP® credential? 
RH: The same law school colleague who recruited me is a CIP. Studying for the exam gave him a comprehensive understanding of the subject matter—and that impressed me, so I, too, earned the credential.

ML: How has the credential advanced your career? 
RH: The CIP® credential gives me a valuable benchmark for comparing my understanding to the current landscape of the field of human subject research.