In January 2014, a New Mexico trial court ruled that patients have a fundamental right to aid in dying under the state constitution.
This afternoon, the New Mexico Court of Appeals will hear oral arguments in the case, captioned as
KATHERINE MORRIS, M.D., AROOP MANGALIK, M.D., and AJA RIGGS, Plaintiffs-Appellees
KARI BRANDENBURG, in her official capacity as District Attorney for Bernalillo County, New Mexico, and GARY KING, in his official capacity as Attorney General of the State of New Mexico, Defendants-Appellants
A number of amici are also involved:
- Attorneys for Disability Rights
- ALS Association NM Chapter
- NM Psychological Association
- American Medical Women’s Association
- American Medical Students Association
- NM Public Health Association
The views, opinions and positions expressed by these authors and blogs are theirs and do not necessarily represent that of the Bioethics Research Library and Kennedy Institute of Ethics or Georgetown University.