It is a Small World: Networking at PRIM&R’s IACUC Conference

by Derek Fong, VMD, DACLAM, Clinical Veterinarian at the University of Colorado Denver

As we gear up for the 2015 IACUC Conference, which will be held in Boston, MA, from March 17-20, we are pleased to have an opportunity to share a post from Derek Fong, who served as a member of the PRIM&R Blog Squad at the 2014 IACUC Conference

It has been nearly a year since I participated as a member of the PRIM&R Blog Squad at the 2014 IACUC Conference, and yet, I still find myself thinking about the powerful connections—old and new—that I made at the conference. Reflecting back, one story, in particular, comes to mind.

With so many concurrent breakout sessions to choose from, selecting what I wanted to attend at the 2014 IACUC Conference was challenging. As I reviewed my options, I skipped over a special lunch session titled, “Research Ethics Book Group Lunch and Book Signing with Author Emily Anthes,” figuring I would be busy eating, conversing, catching up via my ever-present Blackberry, or taking a needed mental break during that time. However, on the day of the session, I ran into a colleague, who asked if I was planning on attending. She couldn’t make it, but had purchased Anthe’s book, Frankenstein’s Cat: Cuddling Up to Biotech’s Brave New Beasts, and was hoping that I might be able to help get her book signed.

Happy to lend a hand, I quickly ate my lunch and went to the lobby to find the book signing. As I waited in line, I saw Emily from a distance, and immediately realized that she looked just like a former classmate, who I had not seen in a number of years.