(Golden) Global Change and LGBT Rights

by Sean Philpott-Jones, Director of the Center for Bioethics and Clinical Leadership

I make it a tradition to watch televised awards shows like the Oscars, Emmys, and Grammys. This is not because I particularly care about the entertainment industry, but primarily because I enjoy providing a running commentary of snarky comments about the various nominee’s clothes, styling and speeches on Facebook and other social media outlets.

Obviously, then, I watched the Golden Globe awards ceremony this past Sunday. Awarded annually by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the Golden Globes honor excellence in both television and film, and are often seen as a precursor to (and predictor of) the Emmys and the Oscars.

I usually don’t pay much attention to the actual awards themselves, but I was pleasantly surprised when this year’s ceremony became (in part) a celebration of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community. For example, the television drama The Normal Heart, adapted from the Larry Kramer play of the same name, received three nominations, including a nod for Best Miniseries or Television Film. Openly gay actor Matt Bomer won for his supporting role in that film, which depicts the early days of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in New York City.

More importantly, the television series TransParent, which follows the lives of a Los Angeles family after the patriarch comes out a transgendered, won Best TV Comedy. Jeffrey Tambor also won Best Actor for his role as Maura Pfefferman, a retired professor of political science who begins to transition from male to female.