Patience, Patience, Patience: An Interview with Tracy Heenan

by Maeve Luthin, Professional Development Manager 

Welcome to another installment of our featured member interviews where we introduce you to our members—individuals who work to advance ethical research on a daily basis. Over the course of the next few months we will be shining a spotlight on members of the Certified IRB Professional (CIP®) and Certified Professional IACUC Administration (CPIA®) Councils. Please read on to learn more about their professional experiences and what goes on behind-the-scenes in their lives! 

Today we’d like to introduce you to Tracy Heenan, DVM, CPIA, director of the Office of Animal Care and Use and associate professor at the University of North Carolina (UNC) at Chapel Hill. 

Maeve Luthin (ML): When and why did you join the field?
Tracy Heenan (TH): I have been in the field of IACUC administration for more than 20 years. Since 1994, I have seen tremendous change in the animal welfare regulations and practices. I entered the field hoping to combine my veterinary background with the field of animal welfare as it relates to research. At that time there were very few veterinarians active in the area of IACUC administration and animal welfare compliance.

ML: How did you become involved with PRIM&R?  
TH: I have been attending PRIM&R conferences since 1994. When I entered the field in March of that year, I had very little idea of the rules and regulations pertaining to research animal care and use. About three weeks after starting the job, I found out there was a conference I just “had to attend”because it would help me learn everything I needed to know. I went to one of PRIM&R’s animal care and use conferences that year, and I’ve been attending ever since.