Meet the PRIM&R Blog Squad for the 2014 AER Conference: Rebecca Ohnemus

by Rebecca Ohnemus, MAA, CRA, research officer at the University of the Incarnate Word 

PRIM&R is pleased to introduce Rebecca Ohnemus, MAA, CRA, a member of the PRIM&R Blog Squad for the 2014 Advancing Ethical Research (AER) Conference. The PRIM&R Blog Squad is composed of PRIM&R members who will blog here, on Ampersand, about the conference to give our readers an inside peek of what’s happening December 4-7 in Baltimore, MD. 

My career in the field of research administration began five years ago when I was offered a graduate assistantship on a National Institutes of Health-funded project (some of you may remember EARDA, the precursor to BRAD) at the University of the Incarnate Word (UIW). Since then, UIW’s Office of Research Development (ORD) and I have grown up together. With the addition of schools of optometry and physical therapy—and a medical school possibly on the horizon—both the ORD and I became busier (and better at multitasking).

A year and a half ago, our IRB administrator retired and the responsibilities associated with this position were folded into the ORD’s (and my) growing world. Almost immediately I realized a need to focus more deeply on learning the intricacies of the regulatory requirements, addressing our researchers’ perception of the IRB and its processes, and meeting the institution’s need for administrative expertise.

This is where my story with PRIM&R begins.

With the help of newly found colleagues and friends—and the abundance of online resources available to PRIM&R members—I have worked to develop and rebuild our policies, procedures, and toolkits to more accurately reflect best practices—and better meet the needs of our researchers.