Key Tips for IRB Chairs

by Krystal Bradford, CIP, Research Compliance Specialist at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center

PRIM&R is pleased to share a post from Krystal Bradford, CIP, a member of the PRIM&R Blog Squad for the 2014 Advancing Ethical Research (AER) Conference. The PRIM&R Blog Squad is composed of PRIM&R members who will blog here, on Ampersand, about the conference to give our readers an inside peek of what’s happening December 4-7 in Baltimore, MD.

As a veteran to the conference, I sometimes find the pre-conference programs to be overwhelming. So much information is provided to you that it can easily become information overload. I didn’t really know what to expect going into the pre-conference program IRB Chairs Boot Camp: Tools for Successful IRB Leadership, especially since I am not an IRB chair. Would I be accepted? Or just politely ignored?

In the end, all I can say is “wow!” I looked forward to completing the evaluation of this pre-conference program—it gets five stars and two thumbs up from me. The panel consisted of three existing IRB chairs: James Feldman, MD, MPH, FACEP, CIP, from Boston University Medical Center, Bruce Gordon, MD, from the University of Nebraska Medical Center, and Paul Reitemeier, PhD, from Grand Valley State University. The experience and knowledge they brought was amazing. As an IRB staff member, one of my responsibilities is to assist the IRB chair with facilitating convened IRB meetings, a task that has always been a highlight for me.

In the morning, Drs. Feldman, Gordon, and Reitemeier provided a description of their board makeup, as well as different things they do to show their appreciation for the efforts of board members.