Information Overload: The Era of Big Data

by Anita Pascoe, MS, CIP, Project Coordinator at Intermountain Healthcare

PRIM&R is pleased to share a post from Anita Pascoe, MS, CIP, a member of the PRIM&R Blog Squad for the 2014 Advancing Ethical Research (AER) Conference. The PRIM&R Blog Squad is composed of PRIM&R members who will blog here, on Ampersand, about the conference to give our readers an inside peek of what happened December 4-7 in Baltimore, MD.

On December 2, the day before I travelled from Salt Lake City, UT, to Baltimore, MD, to attend PRIM&R’s annual AER Conference, I broke a long standing promise to myself not to be suckered in by the latest technological fad and bought a new cell phone.

I had long resisted upgrading my old-fashioned “dumb phone” to its more desirable contemporary counterpart, the “smart phone.” However, I was informed by a hip mobile network sales person that my ancient flip-phone (and phone plan) were being phased out, and that I would not be able to renew my current plan going forward. I caved to the pressure of technology and salesmanship and came home with a brand new smart phone. The night before my flight, my twenty-something year old son took great pride in showing me the phone’s bell and whistles. Consequently, as I stepped off the airplane in Baltimore, I could not figure out how to answer a call from my husband, who was eager to know if I had landed safely. I had to call my son (hey, at least I knew how to dial out!) and have him remind me how to answer an incoming call.