Meet the PRIM&R Blog Squad for the 2014 AER Conference: Mike Kraten

by Michael (Mike) Kraten, PhD, CPA, IRB Chair at Providence College

PRIM&R is pleased to introduce Mike Kraten, PhD, CPA, a member of the PRIM&R Blog Squad at the 2014 Advancing Ethical Research (AER) Conference. The PRIM&R Blog Squad is composed of PRIM&R members who will blog here, on Ampersand, about the conference to give our readers an inside peek of what’s happening December 4-7 in Baltimore, MD. 

When I was first asked to consider accepting an appointment as chair of the institutional review board (IRB) of Providence College, I blinked. Then I blinked again.

Me? Really?

Me?

After all, I’m an accounting professor in a liberal arts college. I teach debits and credits in a Catholic and Dominican institution with a mission “in pursuit of the truth, growth in virtue, and service of God and neighbor.” I was hardly a “typical” faculty member.

So why was I asked? I think I became a potential choice because of my experience in risk management, my research in behavioral accounting, and my interest in applied ethics, which were also the very traits that compelled me to join Providence College’s School of Business in the first place. The institution focuses on values-based leadership, and it relies on the accounting principles of transparency, objectivity, and oversight to protect the interests of its students and other constituents.

It just so happens that those principles also serve as the foundation for human subjects protections, and thus I was invited to become the IRB chair three months ago. Taking the leap, I accepted the invitation.