Meet the PRIM&R Blog Squad for the 2014 AER Conference: Anita Pascoe

by Anita Pascoe, MS, CIP, Project Coordinator at Intermountain Healthcare

PRIM&R is pleased to introduce Anita Pascoe, MS, CIP, a member of the PRIM&R Blog Squad for the 2014 Advancing Ethical Research (AER) Conference. The PRIM&R Blog Squad is composed of PRIM&R members who will blog here, on Ampersand, about the conference to give our readers an inside peek of what’s happening December 4-7 in Baltimore, MD. 

Hello! My name is Anita Pascoe, and I am a card-carrying IRB professional, a full-time graduate student, an enthusiastic writer, and a very excited soon-to-be third time attendee at PRIM&R’s annual Advancing Ethical Research Conference (aptly titled Reflecting on the Past, Shaping the Future), which will be held in Baltimore, MD next month. I was thrilled to receive the email stating that I had been accepted as a PRIM&R Blog Squad member and I cannot wait to blog about my impressions of the conference and the ideas and information I gain from the sessions and connections with other conference attendees.

Reflecting on my past, my first introduction to research ethics came during the mid-80s when I was a nursing student in my native Norway. I became fascinated by an ongoing and heated national debate regarding active and passive euthanasia. Zoom forward a couple of decades, following a move to the United States, I enrolled in an undergraduate medical ethics course at the University of Utah. The rest is history. I have been hooked ever since.

I was introduced to the quirky world of IRB regulations, processes, and procedures roughly four years ago, when I joined the IRB staff at Intermountain Healthcare.