Find the Things No One Else Wants to Do, Do Them, and Do Them Well: An Interview with Jamie Gothro

by Maeve Luthin, JD, Professional Development Manager

Welcome to another installment of our featured member interviews where we introduce you to our members—individuals who work to advance ethical research on a daily basis. Over the course of the next few months we will be shining a spotlight on members of the Certified IRB Professional (CIP®) and Certified Professional IACUC Administrator (CPIA®) Councils. Please read on to learn more about their professional experiences and what goes on behind-the-scenes in their lives!

Today we’d like to introduce you to Jamie Gothro, animal welfare officer and IACUC administrator at the VA San Diego Healthcare System. 

Maeve Luthin (ML): When and why did you join the field? 
Jamie Gothro (JG): I morphed into the world of IACUC as a natural extension of some of my veterinary technology and animal resource duties. I started out being responsible for setting up a training program for animal research personnel, and that led to looking at the qualifications of protocol participants. From there, I started getting more interested and involved in IACUC processes. I especially like the opportunity to see the research studies in their early stages during protocol review, and I enjoy post-approval monitoring, too. I get a chance to see the work in action!

ML: What prompted your interest in joining the CPIA Council, and why did you agree to serve?
JG: The CPIA Council focuses on improving the quality of the administrative staff of the IACUC. There are programs that help promote and advance most of the other careers in the laboratory animal field, but the world of regulations is complex and requires a lot of time and dedication by IACUC staff to keep their institutions on the right side of the laws.