Patience and persistence: An interview with Jami Peelle

by Megan Frame, membership coordinator

Welcome to another installment of our featured member interviews where we introduce you to our members—individuals who work to advance ethical research on a daily basis. Please read on to learn more about their professional experiences, how membership helps connect them to a larger community, and what goes on behind-the-scenes in their lives!

Today we’d like to introduce you to Jami Peelle, faculty grants and fellowships coordinator and IRB administrator at Kenyon College in Gambier, OH.

Megan Frame (MF): When and why did you join the field?
Jami Peelle (JP): I am a librarian by training, and when I first agreed to do grants work at my institution ten or so years ago, I joined a wonderful network of people who do grant work for small colleges. At my first gathering with these incredibly generous colleagues, they were all talking about IRBs and IACUCs. I finally had to ask what in the world they were talking about. I returned to my campus to find out that we didn’t really have a formal IRB. I was assigned to set ours up and soon found that PRIM&R was the leader in providing education on the protection of human subjects in research and the operations of an IRB.

MF: What skills are particularly helpful in a job like yours?
JP: Ability to find information, patience, and persistence.

MF: Tell us about one or more articles, books, or documents that have influenced your professional life.
JP: I love the book The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and was thrilled when the author, Rebecca Skloot, gave a keynote address at PRIM&R’s 2010 Advancing Ethical Research (AER) Conference.