Technology enables me to be accessible: An interview with Trula Stanley

by Megan Frame, membership coordinator

This month, in honor of Member Appreciation Month, we will introduce you to a new member of the PRIM&R community each week. We’ll learn about their professional experiences, personal interests, and, of course, what keeps them committed to advancing ethical research. I hope you’ll join me as I learn more about the people who comprise PRIM&R’s vibrant membership community. 

Today, it is my pleasure to introduce you to Trula Stanley, IRB coordinator at Marshall University in Huntington, WV. 

Megan Frame (MF): When and why did you join the field? 
Trula Stanley (TS): I joined the field in 1982 when I took a job as an IRB secretary. At the time, everything was still on paper.

MF: What is your proudest achievement? 
TS: I am proud to be easily accessible to the investigators at my institution—on a 24-hour basis, if necessary, now that I have electronic access to the IRB database. This technology enables me to be available even when I am not in the office. I am able to assist investigators and IRB members with questions about new submissions, continuing review, protocol deviations, or an amendment. I have been in this field for 32 years, and I am proud that I can assist new and experienced researchers along the way in their research efforts.

MF: Is there anyone, living or dead, who has inspired you in your career and/or in life?
TS: My mother inspired the best in me. She encouraged me to seek out new adventures both in my personal and professional life.