It’s Spring! A Great Time for Cycling, Running, Walking, and Working Out!

People with their bikes at NIH

Caption: My wife Diane Baker and I, enjoying last year’s NIH Bike to Work Day.
Credit: NIH

Happy Bike to Work Day! I really wish that I could take part in the festivities on the National Institutes of Health (NIH) campus in Bethesda, MD as I have in past years, but NIH-related travel is keeping me away from my trusty bike.

So, let me take a moment to commend all of the enthusiastic cyclists at NIH, along with everyone else out there who’s doing everything you can to get and stay physically fit.  Here at NIH, we are particularly well situated to know the facts: taking charge of your health by participating in an exercise program and eating the right foods is among the most important investments you can make in your future.

Besides being National Bike Month, May has also been designated National Physical Fitness and Sports Month by the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition. This year, the White House would especially like to see America’s young people reduce their “screen time” and boost their levels of physical activity.

“Sports keep children healthy, teach them to work as part of a team, and help them develop the discipline to achieve their goals,” President Barack Obama said in his 2014 proclamation. “We encourage America’s sons and daughters to get active and challenge everyone to join the movement for a happier, fitter Nation.”

Specifically, the President has challenged kids to get at least 60 minutes of physical activity per day, and adults, at least 150 minutes per week.