I stumbled into IRB work: An interview with Eva Pastor

by Megan Frame, membership coordinator

This month, in honor of Member Appreciation Month, I will introduce you to a new member of the PRIM&R community each week. We’ll learn about their professional experiences, personal interests, and, of course, what keeps them committed to advancing ethical research. This week, it is my pleasure to introduce you to Eva Pastor, CIP, IRB manager at Allina Health in Minneapolis, MN.

Megan Frame (MF): When and why did you join the field?
Eva Pastor (EP): I stumbled into IRB work; I had been working in clinical research for twelve years with roles in clinical operations, project management, and business development at a contract research organization. Through this work, I was exposed to IRB review processes and informed consent documents, and I was drawn to the whole concept of the IRB and its mission. In 1999, I was a single mom with two children under the age of four, and I was the assistant director of proposals and contracts for Covance Periapproval Services, which was a demanding position. I needed a change. Coincidentally, a position as manager of St. David’s Human Research Review Board (HRRB)—a “commercial” IRB managed by Covance—opened up, and I applied, was offered, and gladly accepted the position. That was the start of some of the most rewarding years of my professional career.

MF: What is your proudest professional achievement?
EP: Shortly after starting in my position as manager of St. David’s HRRB, we began serving as the IRB of record for a very large (3,500 sites) phase IV study.