We need more education about psychiatric IRB processes: An interview with David H. Strauss

by Avery Avrakotos, education and policy manager

In January, PRIM&R welcomed three new members to its Board of Directors, including David H. Strauss, MD. Dr. Strauss is director of research at the New York State Psychiatric Institute and is vice chair for research administration, ethics, and policy at the Columbia University Department of Psychiatry. Dr. Strauss has been actively involved with PRIM&R for 10 years, and was Co-chair of the Core Conference Planning Committee (CCPC) for the 2012 and 2013 AER Conference. He is also be Co-chair of the CCPC for the 2014 AER Conference. 

I recently connected with Dr. Strauss to discuss why he chose to become involved with PRIM&R, as well as his perspective on some issues facing human subjects research.

Avery Avrakotos (AA): When and how did you first become involved with human subjects research?
David Strauss (DS): I started doing research with human subjects in medical school. Recently, I was looking back and realized I wrote a paper in medical school on patient rights and the right to refuse treatment—ideas about consent were part of what I was interested in even as early as medical school. Following residency, I was asked to be the attending psychiatrist for a dedicated research service. My daily life and administrative responsibilities were to construct a service that promoted patient and family involvement in decision-making while accomplishing research goals. It was at that point that I really began working with the institutional review board (IRB) as an investigator, and I became more familiar with the whole concept of human subjects protections.